Robb1 generously forwarded this Easy Button mod (original source unknown) that’s been talked about on other Mio forums, but until now was not tested and verified for the C230.
Many firmly believe that the computed route using this option is usually better than the others (Fastest, Shortest, and Most Economical) and it has now been verified that the tweak works for the C230. Using this option, MioMap seems to compute a route involving the least turns and complexity. This usually ends up being more distance but less turns. Again, we unhide an option in the software that is probably intended for premium GPS units.
Oh, and don’t forget to check out my Mio-C230 StickiNotes in the right column where blog items and other tidbits readers provide will be easy to find.
[BEFORE YOU FOLLOW THE PROCEDURES TO MODIFY YOUR MIO C230, KNOW THAT YOU MIGHT RENDER YOUR C230 UNUSABLE AND YOU MIGHT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.] To Add EASY ROUTE TO ROUTING OPTIONS in MIO C230(locked or Unlocked):1) Copy your “K:\MioMap\MioMap\DATA.ZIP” file to a work directory on your harddrive.
Note1: your drive letter may be different
Note2: if you’re C230 is unlocked, the path will be “K:\MioMap\MioMap2\DATA.ZIP”
2) Make a backup copy of your K:\MioMap\MioMap\DATA.ZIP file or rename it.
3) Unzip the DATA.ZIP file into your work directory.
4) In the subdirectory “mio\320_240\ui” locate the file “route_settings_320_240.ui” and make a backup copy of it.
5) Edit the “route_settings_320_240.ui” and under the “<layer ui_settings_nav_routesearch>” section add the text Easy|SIMPLE| as shown below in red.
<TEXT xxx text=”Route:” x=10 y=51 w=70 align=”left” fonttype=buttonlabel1> <SLIDER btn_config1 var=vRouteTypevalue=”Fastest|FAST|Shortest|SHORT|Economic|ECO” x=82 y=46 w=76
bmp2=”sel_right.bmp#2″ align=”center” valign=”center+5″
<TEXT xxx text=”Route:” x=10 y=51 w=70 align=”left”
fonttype=buttonlabel1> <SLIDER btn_config1 var=vRouteType
x=82 y=46 w=76 bmp=”sel_left.bmp#2″ fonttype=buttonlabel1
AND SAVE IT.
6) Re-Zip the DATA.ZIP file from the files in your work directory.
7) Copy the revised DATA.ZIP file into your K:\MioMap\MioMap
directory on the C230.
(“K:\MioMap\MioMap2\DATA.ZIP” if you’re C230 is unlocked)
8) There should now be an “EASY” route option in the Routing Parameters.